The Little Theatre Cinema was built by community theatre pioneer Consuelo de Reyes and her husband in 1935. It initially functioned as a news theatre showing hourly programmes of documentaries and newsreels. Feature films were first shown in 1939, the first two being PEG OF OLD DRURY starring Anna Neagle followed by OH MR PORTER starring Will Hay. During his time exiled in Bath, Ethiopian Emporer Haile Selassie was a frequent visitor.
The cinema thrived on local support throughout the years as other Bath cinema venues closed, and in 1979 the former scenery store and lounge area were converted into a second screen. In spite of many refurbishments, The Little Theatre Cinema has retained the charm and welcoming warmth of a 1930s cinema, including a balcony in the main auditorium.
Screen 1 is on the ground floor and is accessible for wheelchair users. There are no adapted toilets, however there is an accessible toilet in (around the back of Sainsbury’s on Kingsmead Square, just in front of the Egg Theatre), or in The Grapes pub next to the cinema. A member of staff will be happy to give directions where necessary.
Parking for drivers with disabled badges is permitted in St Michael’s Place (adjacent to the cinema) at any time for up to three hours, provided an Orange Badge and clock are displayed.
There is a hearing loop in Screen 1.
The Little Theatre Cinema is within walking distance of the Bath Spa Train Station and Bath Bus Station. The nearest car park is Avon Street or Southgate.