Authors and Illustrators Descend on the Historic City of Bath this Autumn for the Children’s Literature Festival
Comments Off on Authors and Illustrators Descend on the Historic City of Bath this Autumn for the Children’s Literature Festival
Books and stories come alive this autumn as Bath Children’s Literature Festival lands on Friday 29 September. The festival brings over 100 of the hottest debut, local and national writers, creators, and illustrators from the world of young people’s books to places and spaces across the city of Bath.
Joining us for an autumn programme will be authors and illustrators including Sir Lenny Henry, Robin Stevens, Cressida Cowell, Rob Biddulph, Holly Jackson, Dapo Adeola and Nathan Bryon, Nikita Gill, Katherine Rundell, Sue Hendra and Paul Linnet, Holly Bourne, Chris Riddell, Tom Holland and Dermot O’Leary.
Europe’s largest stand-alone children’s book festival has curated a vibrant and packed programme incorporating free family weekend activities, an engaging and inclusive schools programme, craft activities, interactive book events, toddler time film screenings and a host of YA authors and plenty more.
Guest Curated by…
Taking on the mantle as the festival guest curator for creative/illustrator events for 2023, is award-winning author and illustrator Rob Biddulph. ‘I can’t wait to recommend some of my fellow authors’ and illustrators’ events, particularly ones that celebrate the magic of creativity and the sheer joy of drawing. I just know that the children who come to the festival in 2023 are in for a real treat!’ He will be opening the festival with a bang on Friday 29 September for over 1000 school children in Bath and beyond, followed by a public event on Saturday 30 September.
Tickets for Good
We believe everyone should have access to the joy of reading and will be working with Tickets for Good and their Affordable Ticket Project, meaning that anyone who received a cost-of-living payment from the UK Government in the last 6 months can access free and affordably-priced tickets.
The Bath Children’s Literature Festival general booking opens on the 30 June (become a member to book earlier)! We’re looking forward to a buzzy, book-tastic Autumn in Bath.
Highlights of the 2023 festival include:
• Come celebrate the 20th anniversary of How To Train Your Dragon with legendary author and festival favourite Cressida Cowell
• Sir Lenny Henry joins the Bath Children’s Literature Festival for the first time with his fun-filled event about his brilliant, action-packed books
• Award-winning historian, author and broadcaster Tom Holland presents his thrilling, accessible retelling of the Persian Wars mashed together with tales from Greek Mythology
• Robin Stevens will be sharing her tips and tricks on how to write the perfect murder mystery and the inspiration behind her new team of detectives.
• Historian Greg Jenner brings his first children’s book, You Are History, to Bath to share the fascinating history behind ordinary objects you see every day!
• There’s a place where all the wildest stories began… Prepare to be swept away to a land beyond your wildest imagination in Impossible Creatures, as master storyteller Katherine Rundell presents this epic new fantasy series.
• Holly Jackson gives a behind-the-scenes look at the writing process and inspirations behind her blood-pumping thrillers.
• Bestselling author of YA and adult contemporary fiction Holly Bourne will be talking about her mind-blowing You Could Be So Pretty, searing look at the dysfunctional way society targets women’s and girls’ bodies.
• Returning for its second year, Bath Children’s Literature Festival has teamed up with The Egg Theatre to host the Happiness Hub. You are invited to drop into The Egg and take part in an array of FREE fun and creative activities designed to ask the question of ‘What Makes You Happy?’. Open to all from 10am-4pm on Saturday 30 September- Sunday 1 October.
• Offering FREE entrance for all, The American Museum and Gardens welcomes everyone on Sunday 8th October, as part of a family day out. Include a visit to the exhibition Brick America: An Adventure in LEGO bricks in the gallery, crafts activities, storytelling, and plenty of space to run around in the blooming surrounding grounds.
TO SEE THE FULL LINEUP CLICK HERE