2017 BATH CHILDREN’S LITERATURE FESTIVAL – BOOKING NOW OPEN
Europe’s largest dedicated children’s literature festival is back for its 11th year from Friday 29 September to Sunday 8 October.
Book online HERE or via Bath Box Office 01225 463362
10 DAYS, 120 EVENTS FEATURING THE BEST CHILDREN’S AND TEEN AUTHORS, INCREDIBLE ILLUSTRATORS, FAVOURITE CHARACTERS AND LITERARY MASTERCLASSES.
The 2017 Bath Children’s Literature Festival announces its biggest ever programme of events, with leading names from the world of children’s literature coming to the city from Friday 29 September to Sunday 8 October.
Headliners include the UK’s Number One Bestselling author Julia Donaldson, best known for The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom and Stick Man; Liz Pichon, the multi-talented author and illustrator behind the Tom Gates series; much loved author and illustrator of the How To Train Your Dragon books, Cressida Cowell; Bath-born superstar, Jacqueline Wilson, best known for her books and CBBC series Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather; and last but by no means least – actor, comedian and all round national treasure, Miranda Hart.
This year’s festival includes authors, illustrators, comedy heroes, celebrities, radio stars and storytellers. Festival fans will also have the chance to see Michael Rosen, Francesca Simon, Chris Riddell, Eoin Colfer, Derek Landy, Harry Hill, Ade Edmonson, David Baddiel, Nadiya Hussain, Maggie Aderin-Pocock, Ben Faulks, Christian O’Connell, Greg James & Chris Smith and Gemma Cairney and many more.
THIS YEAR’S HIGHLIGHTS
- Julia Donaldson, best known for The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom and Stick Man, will introduce The Ugly Five – the characters from her new picture book with Axel Scheffler.
- Liz Pichon offers a jam-packed Tom Gates interactive event with reading, drawing, doodling plus a live performance from Tom’s favourite band Dude3.
- Cressida Cowell will launch the first of a new series of books called The Wizards Of Once. Expect tales of wizards, warriors, giants and sprites!
- Jacqueline Wilson, takes her audience on a journey through her life in writing. Hear her talk about some of her best-loved characters including Tracy Beaker and Hetty Feather – both now successful CBBC TV series, and her newest book Wave Me Goodbye, set in the Second World War.
- Miranda Hart will entertain and inspire with the launch of her first children’s book The Girl With The Lost Smile. Packed with humour and happiness, the book is a contemporary comedy with a magical twist, and one that celebrates the power of the imagination and the magic of true friendship.
- The multi-talented former Children’s Laureate, Chris Riddell, will introduce his final book in the Goth Girl series; Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony, along with live illustrations.
- Great British Bake Off winner and Junior Bake Off judge, Nadiya Hussain, shares favourite recipes and stories from her new cookbook for families, Nadiya’s Bake Me a Festive Story.
- One of Britain’s much loved actors, comedians and authors, Ade Edmondson, will talk about his love of books and what inspired him to become a writer. He will take his audience back in time with his latest book Tilly and the Time Machine.
- Space scientist, author and BBC Sky At Night presenter, Maggie Aderin-Pocock, takes her audience on a journey through the constellations with her new book StarFinder For Beginners. Perfect for budding astronomers!
- The highly acclaimed comedian and T.V. presenter, David Baddiel, talks about his brilliantly funny books The Parent Agency, The Person Controller and his most recent book, AniMalcolm.
- Well-known Horrid Henry author Francesca Simon and author of the Arthur trilogy, Kevin Crossley-Holland, take an illuminating look at Norse mythology. A Q&A panel event for fans of Viking Gods such as Odin, Thor and Loki.
- Much-loved comedian, T.V. presenter and author, Harry Hill, talks about his fantastically funny book Matt Millz! Matt is desperate to be a stand-up comedian, but how can a twelve year old boy make it in the biz? Harry gives us some ideas.
- Michael Rosen will be celebrating words – silly words, funny words, words you only use in your own family, new words, old words, and the very best words in the right order. Find out about his new books Jelly Boots, Smelly Boots and Uncle Gobb and the Green Heads and laugh your socks off.
- Ben Faulks, A.K.A. Mr Bloom from CBeebies joins us for a super-fun and interactive event as he talks about his two books What Makes a Me a Me? and Watch Out Muddy Puddles.
- Our Young Adult (YA) programme includes BBC Radio 1 presenter and former fashion stylist, Gemma Cairney, with pop-culture obsessive Young Adult (YA) author Amy Alward, and author of Beautiful Broken Things (recommended by the Zoella Book Club) Sara Barnard, to talk about all things teen when it comes to book hot picks. Other big names in our YA programme include Alex Bell and Sharon Gosling; Jess Butterworth, Sarah Driver and Amy Alward; Frances Hardinge, Lucy Saxon and Maggie Harcourt.
- We will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book Philosopher’s Stone, with a fun and interactive quiz with the four Hogwarts houses. Children will have the chance to take part in a sorting ceremony, a game of Quidditch, potions classes and much more. We also have award-winning artist and illustrator for the Harry Potter books, Jim Kay, who will talk about his ideas and inspirations behind bringing some of the most iconic characters to life.
- Another birthday to celebrate. The Cat in the Hat is 60 Years old so we’re bringing to life Dr Seuss’s iconic tale with all of its original mayhem and madness. There will be stories, rhymes galore and a special appearance from the Cat in the Hat himself.
- Our favourite characters will come to Bath, including Doctor Who, Star Wars, Winnie the Pooh, Elmer, Mog, Mr. Men & Molly Mischief, not forgetting the Moomins. We’ve also included some T.V. favourites such as Operation Ouch! Horrible Histories, Mr Bloom (Ben Faulks) and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- A series of Masterclasses will be on offer. Author and ace cartoonist, Joe Berger, will teach children how to create stories and craft your own comics; and Mark Huckerby and Nick Ostler (Danger Mouse, Thunderbirds Are Go!, Shaun the Sheep) reveal the secrets of writing for some of the biggest names in children’s T.V. For adults interested in children’s literature, accomplished author, Joanna Nadin, will offer a class on how to write fiction for 8 to 12 year olds, from crafting character to creating a brilliant plot; and best-selling (YA) author Clare Furniss will help adults tackle some of the main issues (YA) writers face through writing exercises and engaging discussion.
- For the first time, we will be launching a virtual bookshelf filled with reading ideas and reviews on our website. Festival authors, partners, publishers and school children will be encouraged to take part. The artist who created this year’s programme front cover is the author and illustrator of the immensely popular Tom Gates series of books, Liz Pichon.
Book online or via Bath Box Office 01225 463362
24 hour flash saleSeptember 12, 2017
We’re celebrating the Bristol and Bath #CultureFlashSale by offering 25% off selected tickets for Bath Children’s Literature Festival. Starting at 10am on 14 September, save 25% on tickets for the following events when booking online or over the phone: Cressida Cowell Kate Dicamillo Star Wars with JAKe Joking About with Dave Lowe Dylan! With Guy Parker-Rees Supersaurs Dragons! […]
What our bloggers are most looking forward to…September 11, 2017
Our young bloggers explain which events they’re most excited about at this year’s Bath Children’s Literature Festival… Alex Lea, aged 12: “I’m really excited about the Bath Children’s Literature Festival. I come to the festival every year but this is the first time that I will be blogging about it. I will be writing about […]
Release your inner artist at Bath Children’s Literature FestivalAugust 16, 2017
If you’ve got a little one that’s always doodling, drawing, sketching or scribbling, they’ll love our events with top children’s book illustrators. As well as hearing about the story and characters, there’ll be plenty of interactive drawing and opportunities to create masterpieces too. Browse some of our events below, or view the whole programme here. Cressida […]
Want to be a #BathKidsLitFest blogger?August 1, 2017
Calling all book lovers: Like the sound of being a #BathKidsLitFest blogger? Every year Bath Children’s Literature Festival invites book lovers aged 4 to 18, to become #BathKidsLitFest bloggers. Each blogger will receive two free tickets to their chosen event. To win the chance to become a 2017 blogger just follow these three steps… Write […]
2017 BATH CHILDREN’S LITERATURE FESTIVAL – BOOKING NOW OPENJune 22, 2017
Europe’s largest dedicated children’s literature festival is back for its 11th year from Friday 29 September to Sunday 8 October. Book online HERE or via Bath Box Office 01225 463362 10 DAYS, 120 EVENTS FEATURING THE BEST CHILDREN’S AND TEEN AUTHORS, INCREDIBLE ILLUSTRATORS, FAVOURITE CHARACTERS AND LITERARY MASTERCLASSES. The 2017 Bath Children’s Literature Festival announces […]